Barbecued Mushroom-Turkey Burgers
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Grill: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and carrot; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the wine, salt and pepper; simmer for 2-3 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, brushing occasionally with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and remaining barbecue sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 371 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 926mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 1, 2017
My husband said these are the best turkey burgers he's ever had. We didn't use extra barbeque sauce because basting them once on each side gave them enough flavor. I cooked them under the broiler, but I bet they're even better on the grill!
Aug 16, 2015
I have made these several times now. The whole family loves them. The wine and vegetables give these burgers a sophisticated flavor. I usually mix this up and shape the patties the night before to cut down on dinner prep the day I cook them.
Jan 6, 2013
These were really good.
Aug 7, 2010
This is the second time I've made these burgers. They are fantastic. The 1st time I used chicken broth. The 2nd time I used a merlot wine.
Jul 28, 2009
We make ours without the mushrooms and bbq sauce. We let them sit for more than an hour just to marinate them a little longer. They are yummy and my kids love them.
Aug 29, 2008
We do not use a barbecue so i think i will follow this recipe & cook them in my George.Vera