Barbecued Cola Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 40 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 pounds each), cut in half
- In a small saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place chicken over drip pan and grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 408 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Apr 15, 2016
Sauce very bland! Had to add seasoning and still didn't like it.
Oct 2, 2015
I loved this, but my husband didn't really like the barbecue sauce. He said it was too bland for his tastes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.