These sandwiches are great for large gatherings. The chicken can be cooked ahead of time, then added to the homemade barbecue sauce for simmering hours before guests arrive. —Roberta Brown, Waupaca, Wisconsin
- 2 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cooked and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except buns. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker or simmer for 1-1/2 hours on the stovetop. Serve on buns. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p17
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review