- 2 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cooked and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except buns. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker or simmer for 1-1/2 hours on the stovetop. Serve on buns. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBarbecued Chicken Sandwiches
"It's easy to let one bad apple (in this case a review) spoil everything, but I went ahead and tried this because taste of home recipes are usually great. This. Was. FANTASTIC! followed the recipe except for cutting the water in half like other reviews said (good call) AND I added a teaspoon of liquid smoke--YUM! I highly recommend! Next time I might sub in cider vinegar."
"Love this recipe. I cut the water down to 1 cup and used boneless chicken instead, to cut the fat."
"I cut the water in half after reading the comments. My family loved the recipe and I will definitely make it again. The recipe does need to be revise though, with 1/2 the amount of water."
"If I could give this negative stars I would. what a waste of a chicken... followed recipe exactly as written against my better judgement. All that was tasted was the vinegar, it was bitter and sour and gross. i tried to get my husband to try it a second time the next night after trying to fix it and it was still inedible. don't waste your chicken!"
"A little too much water, needed a little more hot sauce."
"This is a very easy recipe and very tasty. Even my picky toddlers ate them!"
"Sauce is way to watery, IF I was going to make this again, I would cut the water in half, if not more. Sauce flavor is ok, nothing great."