These beans are a proven crowd-pleaser, according to Mrs. W.L. Doolittle of Crossville, Tennessee. "The secret's in the seasoning," she reveals, "and in the butter beans you use."
Recommended: 34 BBQ Side Dishes You Can Throw on the Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- Combine all ingredients. Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Butter Beans in Country Woman May/June 1996, p42