Barbecued Butter Beans
These beans are a proven crowd-pleaser, according to Mrs. W.L. Doolittle of Crossville, Tennessee. "The secret's in the seasoning," she reveals, "and in the butter beans you use."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- Combine all ingredients. Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 143 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Butter Beans in Crafting Traditions May/June 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.