Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 3 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- Place brisket in a large Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add Liquid Smoke; mix well. Drain drippings from Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 287 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 536mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 25, 2017
This brisket is tender and tasty!!
Nov 15, 2011
Didn't enjoy this one.
Oct 18, 2009
My mom used to make this recipe for Sunday lunch and it is awesome! I'm so glad I found it because I'm going to make it again for my son's 1st birthday.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.