Most members of my family would agree that no picnic is complete until these delicious beans have made their appearance. Preparing them in a slow cooker makes them easy to transport to any gathering. —Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
Recommended: All-American Recipes for Your Memorial Day Cookout
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients. Add the beans. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer or until beans are tender. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Beans in Country Pork 1996, p65
Reviews forBarbecued Beans
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 1, 2013
"These were good, family and guests raved about them. Beans were a bit hard for my taste and may soak them longer next time."