Barbecued Baked Beans
To dress up convenient canned pork and beans, our Test Kitchen starts with bottled barbecue sauce, then stirs in brown sugar, vinegar, liquid smoke and spices. These hearty oven-baked beans will perk up your next summer picnic.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the next eight ingredients. Add the Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened and bubbly.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 205 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Barbecued Baked Beans in Light & Tasty June/July 2003