To dress up convenient canned pork and beans, our Test Kitchen starts with bottled barbecue sauce, then stirs in brown sugar, vinegar, liquid smoke and spices. These hearty oven-baked beans will perk up your next summer picnic.
Recommended: 25 Delicious Ways to Cook Chicken Legs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the next eight ingredients. Add the Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Baked Beans in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p13
Reviews forBarbecued Baked Beans
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2014