“Barbecue Nut Burgers is my favorite recipe,” says Irene Rundell of Haskell, Oklahoma. “It’s simply delicious, and you could serve it to anyone. They’ll never miss the meat and just may ask for the recipe.”
Featured In: Veggie Burger Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 2/3 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a small food processor, combine cashews and pecans; cover and process until ground. Transfer to a bowl; add 1/2 cup bread crumbs, potato flakes, egg, onion, garlic and salt. Shape into two 1/2-in.-thick patties; roll in remaining bread crumbs.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the honey, ketchup, barbecue sauce, vinegar and molasses. Serve patties on lettuce-lined buns with sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Barbecue Nut Burgers in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p15
Reviews forBarbecue Nut Burgers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2010
"We have used this recipe many times, without the sauce. It also works to form the mixture into small balls ad serve it with sweet and sour sauce, or a sauce of your choice."