The tangy barbecue sauce found here is fast, flavorful and extremely versatile. It's fantastic on sausages, but don't stop there; give it a try on ribs or with pulled pork.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes to Make This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 uncooked Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 4 hot dog buns, split
- Grill sausages, covered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine or broth. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder and Liquid Smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Place sausages in buns; serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Barbecue Italian Sausages in Simple & Delicious May/June 2007, p8
Reviews forBarbecue Italian Sausages
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2010
"Delicious. I love this recipe!"