Barbecue Ham Sandwiches
Busy Fogelsville, Pennsylvania cook Constance Eddy writes, This tangy sauce freezes well and is even better when it's reheated. "It's great on hot dogs, too! You can also fix it ahead...and keep it warm in the slow cooker if you make a larger amount for picnic or party fare."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 to 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 pound shaved lean deli ham
- 2 sandwich rolls, toasted
- In a small saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter. Add the tomato juice, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add ham; stir until coated. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve on rolls.