- 2 bottles (12 ounces each) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large sweet orange pepper, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 10 brat or hot dog buns, split
- Place the first eight ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir to combine. In a large skillet, brown bratwurst on all sides over medium-high heat; transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender. Using tongs, serve bratwurst and pepper mixture on buns. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forBarbecue Brats & Peppers
"Good recipe but definitely cut the beer in half, and even with that it was a pretty thin sauce. The flavor was excellent and I used the leftover sauce with shoestring hot dogs and served over rice - excellent."
"Smell and taste terrific but too much liquid. Have no "sauce"; more like watery juice. Had to spoon veggies out and use mustard and bbq sauce right on the bun."
"Our little family loved this. The sauce is spicy so don't touch the peppers too much if they fall off your bun! It was so flavorful though - I am curious to try using one less bottle of beer next time to have a thicker sauce as some other reviewers indicated they did. However, I was not disappointed in the flavor at all."
"We didn't like this as much as we were hoping to. I didn't like the texture of the brats and the beer tastes was too much for me. I won't be making this again."
"EXCELLENT recipe, great visual appeal as well as flavor. We used Guinness and a honey mesquite bbq sauce. But I am cutting the beer amount in half also to have a thicker sauce. Going to make it next for former Wisconsites like us, know they'll love it."
"This was really good and a change from grilled brats."