Barbecue Beef Brisket Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Place brisket in a Dutch oven. Combine the next 10 ingredients; pour over brisket. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and discard cooking juices. Shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add barbecue sauce and cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Serve on hamburger buns.
Oct 26, 2013
The note at the top of this recipe says "The secret to a good barbecued beef sandwich is in the sauce." Since one of the main sauce ingredients is simply listed as "barbecue sauce" with no hint of what type to use, I guess it is a secret.
Feb 1, 2012
Regarding OhBarbi's comment, there isn't a marinade to this recipe. The brisket just cooks in a homemade sauce.We apologize for the confusion and it will be corrected here soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Jan 30, 2012
The author mentions marinating. ? Are some of the first few ingredients, such as canola oil, etc., meant for a marinade?
Aug 18, 2010
I made this last night my husband loved it. I couldnt find the beef brisket so i used skirt skeak instead turned out really good.
Jun 19, 2010
My husband used to fret so much while barbecuing briskets that I sought a recipe he could relax with and still be proud of the results. This is it. It makes the best sandwiches!