Barbecue Bean Salad
I love to cook and try new recipes. I've been collecting cookbooks for years and have picked up some very old cookbooks at estate sales.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, divided
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add water to cover beans by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Rinse, drain and set aside. For dressing, in a saucepan, combine the vinegar, oil, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, peppers and onion. Just before serving, stir in dressing and half of the chips. Sprinkle with remaining chips.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Barbecue Bean Salad in Country Extra September 1999