Barbecue Bean Salad
I love to cook and try new recipes. I've been collecting cookbooks for years and have picked up some very old cookbooks at estate sales.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, divided
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add water to cover beans by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Rinse, drain and set aside. For dressing, in a saucepan, combine the vinegar, oil, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, peppers and onion. Just before serving, stir in dressing and half of the chips. Sprinkle with remaining chips.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Barbecue Bean Salad in Country Extra September 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.