- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups coarsely chopped escarole or spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, shallots and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain.
- Add broth to sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, pepper and escarole; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in parsley before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBarbara's Italian Wedding Soup
"This was super easy to make and tastes delicious! I used half hot Italian sausage and half mild. It has a nice kick and sure is good in the -9 degree weather we are having today. I used the spinach and love that there are so few ingredients and comes together so fast. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the easy, tasty recipe!"