Bananas Foster Oatmeal
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 medium firm ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, sliced ripe bananas and sweetened whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and let stand.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add bananas; cook gently stirring 1-2 minutes or until bananas are glazed and slightly softened.
- Remove from heat; stir in extracts. Stir banana mixture into oatmeal. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls; add toppings of your choice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 31, 2018
Very easy and delicious. I used the banana mixture as a topping so I could add less sugar to the children's portions vs. adults. We served with extra sliced banana.
Jun 9, 2018
This recipe is a calorie bomb, so more for a special occasion or treat -- but it's great. I use it to use up bananas when I don't feel like making another loaf of banana bread or freezing them. My son, who isn't a huge oatmeal fan loves this. It's hard not to. It's like dessert.
Jan 29, 2018
My family raved over this recipe this morning! I made it for a special Sunday morning breakfast because I had all the ingredients. Even our youngest daughter who doesn't care for oatmeal ate two bowls of it! Quick to prepare, too! Like Corwin44, I had some for dessert at supper tonight. I put some leftover homemade vanilla pudding over the top of mine & mixed it together. Yum!
Apr 23, 2017
This was really good and really easy. I was making eggs Benedict for dinner and needed a side. I had everything in the house to make this oatmeal so I have it a try. My family loved it. We liked it so much that we each had a scoop of the oatmeal over a scoop of vanilla ice for dessert.