VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 medium firm ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, sliced ripe bananas and sweetened whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and let stand.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add bananas; cook gently stirring 1-2 minutes or until bananas are glazed and slightly softened.
- Remove from heat; stir in extracts. Stir banana mixture into oatmeal. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls; add toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bananas Foster Oatmeal in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p76
Reviews forBananas Foster Oatmeal
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2017