- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 medium firm ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, sliced ripe bananas and sweetened whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and let stand.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add bananas; cook gently stirring 1-2 minutes or until bananas are glazed and slightly softened.
- Remove from heat; stir in extracts. Stir banana mixture into oatmeal. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls; add toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBananas Foster Oatmeal
"My family raved over this recipe this morning! I made it for a special Sunday morning breakfast because I had all the ingredients. Even our youngest daughter who doesn't care for oatmeal ate two bowls of it! quick to prepare, too! Like Corwin44, I had some for dessert at supper tonight. I put some leftover homemade vanilla pudding over the top of mine & mixed it together. Yum!"