Bananas Foster Gelato
The classic combination of bananas and rum is reinvented as an ice cream dish that's even better with ribbons of caramel topping. It's an outstanding treat for adults! —Scarlett Elrod, Newnan, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sliced bananas and hot caramel ice cream topping, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon for 4 minutes; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk and cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the rum and vanilla. Mash bananas with lemon juice; stir into the rum mixture.
- Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill the cylinder of an ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
- If desired, top with sliced bananas and caramel topping.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Bananas Foster Gelato in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019