- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and bananas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in rum; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, banana mixture and remaining brown sugar. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forBananas Foster Bread
"Delicious! I omitted the flax (and added extra flour in its place) and cut the sugar by half and I thought it was perfect! Yum!"
"We did not care of this bread and ended up throwing it away. In fairness, I did leave out the flaxseed, as I did not want to purchase a whole bag for one recipe. But according to the internet, it is typically used as a egg or oil substitute. Since this recipe call both, I am not sure its purpose. The rum flavored glaze was very strong and the center bread part was moist, but just ok."
"So moist and full of flavor! I did omit the flax. I used pecans grinded to a powder. Def a keeper!"
"Made this again and it was great. Definitely one of my favorites."
"Took it to a gathering and everyone wanted recipe"
"I substituted quick oats for the flaxseed and i did not put the glaze on top. I tried to get the bread out of the pan alittle too soon so it sort of split....but it still tasted pretty good. I will make it again (and let it cool longer!) and I am planning on trying whole wheat flour instead of white and I will put the glaze on it."
"I followed the recipe but used spiced rum which we had on hand. Came out great and mother in-law wanted recipe for a card club gathering next week."
"This was great. I made it for the family. My 19 month old just loved it."
"i forgot, i did however take out the flaxseed because we didn't have any, I just substituted flour for it."