- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks; mix well. Add bananas. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a few banana slices. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forBanana Squares
"I thought it was moist but nothing to rave about. I think there are better banana cake or banana bar recipes out there."
"I made these yesterday with a lot of changes. I did not use shortening; I used peanut butter and canola oil instead. They turned out amazing. I also used chocolate chips instead of walnuts. My nephew and sister liked them better than banana bread. Here is the recipe with the modifications.http://www.apinchofluv.com/wordpress/2017/04/01/peanut-butter-banana-chocolate-chip-bars/"
"I made two batches of this. The first one came out fine, but the second took longer to make and seemed to not quite set in the middle. Hmmmm....but the flavor is nice. Not sure if I like this better than banana bread though."
"So good! Love it warm right out of the oven with whipped cream. I froze them in individual bars to have at a later time or else we might have eaten the whole pan!"
"Very tastey. I didn't want to share with others, but the people I did share with wanted the recipe from me.I left out the nuts as they're expensive at the moment, but it turned out great."
"This is our family's all time favorite way to use ripe bananas. Very moist!!"
"One of my husband's favorite things i bake is banana bread, and he likes these banana squareseven better. They are so moist and turn out beautiful every time. I only have to bake mine for 30min for perfect doneness, but it may be because I use a dark pan (?). Absolutely wonderful! A new family favorite!"