Banana Split Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, banana and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Add walnuts. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the marshmallows, chocolate chips and cherries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 119 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 5, 2016
Just as RICH and delicious as advertised. Except for adding one banana and leaving out the nuts, I followed the recipe. Personally, it was a bit too sweet for my tastes. The banana layer came out very thin, making the topping layer the star. Think big bowl of sundae toppings, no ice cream. Like your 8 year old kid would make.If I make this again I think I will stick more closely to the recipe. I get the feeling my changes gave the bars less substance.
Nov 1, 2014
I prepared this recipe for the first time 11/1/14. I found that the best type of baking pans for this cake was either an 8x8x2" or 7" square pan or a round 8" or 9" layer pan. I used a 7" square pan and a 5x3" loaf pan, greased and floured for the first cake and I used an 8" round layer pan, greased and floured for my second cake. I baked the loaf and the cake 45 minutes, then tested cake for doneness with a cake tester-it should come out clean.I used 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp. salt. I used less miniature marshmallows-I used just enough to cover the baked cake. I also used miniature chocolate chips: total of 2/3 cup for 7" square cake/5x7" loaf and about 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips for round layer pan.I cut the maraschino cherries in eighths, rather than quarters. I topped the baked cakes with the chocolate chips, marshmallows and cherries and baked for 5 to 10 minutes-until marshmallows were lightly browned and puffed! I got at least 1 small loaf and about 7 to 8servings from the 2 square cakes! My tip: When I bake a round cake and top with marshmallows, I'll try just 5 minutes on the baking time-I noticed that the melted marshmallows overflowed onto a baking sheet! I also used 1 medium banana for the 2ndcake and 2 medium ripe bananas for the 7" cake and the small 5x3" loaf. I did use 1/3 cupchopped pecans! delowenstein