Cut down on hostess duties by preparing this frosty sensation ahead of time. The pretty dessert features strawberry ice cream as well as a layer of rich chocolate. "My children request this for their birthday cakes," notes Shirley Buehler of Minnetonka, Minnesota.
Recommended: Banana Bread A to Z
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 quarts strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter; stir in cracker crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; freeze for 10 minutes. Top with bananas, ice cream and pecans. Spread cooled chocolate mixture over top. Freeze for 1 hour. Spread with whipped topping. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Originally published as Banana Split Freeze in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p64