Banana Split Cream Puffs
"These fruity cream puff 'sandwiches' are a treat that our family has always found scrumptious," notes field editor Sandra McKenzie of Braham, Minnesota. "For a nice variation, use whipped cream instead of the ice cream."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 12 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 large or 2 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside.
- Fill each puff with a scoop of ice cream and top with fruit. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce. Replace tops and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Banana Split Cream Puffs in Taste of Home August/September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.