Banana Split Cookies
This banana-shaped cookie is garnished with homemade frosting, a chocolate drizzle and nuts and cherries. It really looks like a banana split.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- 10 red candied cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts and dried cherries.
- Place dough in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 3/4-in. hole in one corner of bag. Pipe 2-in. strips about 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Remove to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Pipe three mounds over each cookie.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over tops; sprinkle with candied cherries and walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 126 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Banana Split Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012