- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Sliced bananas and additional chopped maraschino cherries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually stir in flour. Fold in cherries. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in mashed banana and preserves. Add egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Spread over brownie batter; sprinkle with peanuts.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is set and a toothpick inserted in brownie portion comes out mostly clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars. If desired, serve bars topped with banana slices and additional cherries. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forBanana-Split Brownies
"cool dessert, something different, summery. Ice cream definitely adds to the taste. I'd make it again."
"This recipe looked amazing so I gave it a whirl. I have to agree with another reviewer - the brownie base is delicious, but nobody in my family cared for the topping. My brother in law suggested adding ice cream would bring it all together, and I agree, but unfortunately we didn't have any. I think I would give this another chance by adding some ice cream when serving!"
"The brownie base of this recipe is wonderful and I will use it as my "go-to" recipe for brownies using unsweetened chocolate However, neither my family nor I cared for the topping--just a personal preference. But I appreciate the delicious brownie recipe I discovered within this recipe."
"Just perfect as is."
"This is a rich and tasty dessert. The salted peanuts absolutely make it! I served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Decadent!"
"I sampled brownies-I found them tobe moist! It IS an interesting brownie recipe! delowenstein"