Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 1-1/2-qt. souffle dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in the bananas, sugar and cornstarch until blended. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in lemon juice, rum and lemon peel.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into banana mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Jan 22, 2012
I liked these; they were light and fluffy. I used egg substitute and put some chocolate chips in the middle before cooking. I would make them again, but probably use egg yolks next time for a richer flavor. Tasted like a light version of banana bread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.