- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, remove wrap; crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forBanana Pudding
"Great recipe! Simple, homemade goodness. I ended up using Lactaid whole milk and it worked just fine. Had to go ahead & add a meringue in memory of my precious Mom & the way she preferred to serve it."
"What a blessing to me to have a homemade recipe! Thank you for submitting this!"
"Delicious! I've been wanting to make this for awhile but my immediate family isn't big on pudding or bananas so I had to wait until I had to take a dessert somewhere so I could try this. Made it for our Mother's Day dinner at my parents. My 9 year old nephew absolutely loved it. I sent some leftovers home with him and they texted the next night to say how much they enjoyed it. As a Volunteer Field Editor, I enjoy trying out new recipes!"
"I loved the flavor! It was so simple to make, and aside from the wafers, I generally have all of these ingredients on hand. Next time I will crush the vanilla wafers or use graham wafer crumbs, but that is purely a personal preference. I didn't care for the wafers left whole. All in all, a delicious recipe!"
"This is the old Magnolia Restaurant recipe and it's very good. I like it better made with pound cake or lady fingers. Yummy stuff."
"5-Stars! Just like my mom use to make! Turned out great!"
"My mom is from Virginia and always made this. All pies and puddings from scratch are the best! Please tell your son Thank You for his service and God Bless. Thank you too, I can't imagine not seeing either of my boys for two years!"
"I haven't tried this recipe (but I will), reminds me of the way my great Aunt made it except she also put meringue on hers. Would keep the pudding from getting a skin on top. Can't wait!"
"The end results are worth the work! Reminds me of what my mother used to make. I dip the bananas in lemon juice to keep them from turning brown, especially since this lasts a few days at my house."
"I love banana pudding and that is just what this is, if you want something else ask for that recipe!This is great"