Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, remove wrap; crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 302 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 25, 2019
I made this Banana Pudding without any changes and it was creamy and delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe, Stephanie, and thank you to your son, Lance Corporal Eric Harris, for his service to our country.
Jun 23, 2019
This recipe is garbage. If you bring the pudding to a boil, as instructed *twice*, it will separate. I followed this recipe before looking at recipes posted by real chefs and, as should have been expected, the pudding separated. Total waste of time - threw away.
Mar 12, 2019
I made my own personal dish of this and it was AMAZINGGGGG!!!! No one eats banana pudding but me and its great to have a recipe to go to when I cant get to a store.
Dec 1, 2018
Classic Southern recipe for a much beloved dish that has 1 ingredient missing from most found today.................The LOVE of a lady that takes the time to make the Vanilla Pudding from scratch instead of a box. Your son is a very lucky Devil Dog to have a Mom like you. Thank you from our Veterans and their families to both of you.
Dec 1, 2018
Great way to make a quick dessert with or without Bananas. Nice for parfaits too . I like to add 2 teaspoons of butter to the hot pudding when I take it off the heat. A keeper recipe to have on hand.
Jul 10, 2018
I made this for a church picnic and everyone loved it. I didn't come home with any leftovers. Will make again, so easy and delicious.
Jul 3, 2018
I made this for a friends BBQ and people liked it better than the professionally baked banana cake
Jun 21, 2018
I made this today and it was amazing! Very easy and simple to make.
Jun 2, 2018
I'm a fairly new baker and just tried this recipe. I tempered my eggs for the first time and everything came out great. I made a whipped cream topping and added it, came out fantastic. Definitely a keeper! Thanks.
May 20, 2018
Had put off making this for a special occasion; last night I made it for a bridal shower for today; thought it was a little bland. I added an additional teaspoon of vanilla as recommended; I am sure that helped... Very doubtful I will make again...