Banana-Pecan Sweet Rolls
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 4-3/4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add the bananas, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Brush with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the pecans, sugar and allspice; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 16 slices. Place cut side up on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners; sugar, lemon juice and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warn rolls. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 159 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 16, 2011
This made a great sweet roll. I doubled the recipe. The rolls came out so soft and nice that I decided not to add make the icing. On the filling I used about 3/4 cup of sugar & 2 tsp. cinnamon & omitted the the pecans & allspice. I also added 1/2 tsp. lemon extract & 1 tsp. cinnamon to the dough.