A friend gave me this recipe more than 30 years ago. She liked it because it requires no kneading but has the same terrific taste and aroma of traditional banana bread.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead.
- Spoon into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Banana Nut Yeast Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p92