A friend gave me this recipe more than 30 years ago. She liked it because it requires no kneading but has the same terrific taste and aroma of traditional banana bread.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead. Spoon into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Banana Nut Yeast Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p92