Banana-Nut Green Salad
Betty Jean Nichols of Eugene, Oregon adds sliced bananas and crunchy ginger-roasted walnuts to her tossed salad. She suggests using Gorgonzola cheese.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup walnuts halves
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 4 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, salt, ginger and onion powder. Add walnuts; toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 18-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned and evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and bananas. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 219 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Banana-Nut Green Salad in Quick Cooking March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.