Banana Nog Recipe
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup creme de cacao
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and baking cocoa, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups milk, 1-1/2 cups cream, egg yolks and sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 160° and is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Place bananas in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Pour milk mixture into a pitcher; stir in the banana puree, rum, creme de cacao, vanilla, and remaining milk and cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- 3. Pour into chilled glasses. Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with cocoa if desired. Yield: 11 servings (about 2 quarts).
3/4 cup: 282 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Banana Nog
"I made this yesterday and it is to die for!!!!! I will certainly add it to my recipe collection. I don't like a strong rum flavor so I only added half of what was called for in the recipe, but ended up adding the full amount of rum and the rum taste was not overpowering. Think I will have to buy more half and half just to make it again. One thing I did was after the eggnog had cooled, I beat the egg whites with a small amount of sugar and stirred them into the milk mixture. It makes the eggnog thicker and I really liked the new and improved drink."
"I got this recipe out of your magazine last year and made it for Thanksgiving. It was a sensation! This is now a tradition I've added to my holidays thanks to you, Taste of Home!"