- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gently stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted; set aside. Slice bananas into the pastry shell. Pour hot filling over bananas.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBanana Meringue Pie
"This is good,I stuck to the recipe, there was a little more banana used because they were big,everyone liked it will be making again.."
"made this recipe and made some changes after reading the other review on it. I followed the directions up until slicing banana's, instead I put 3 overripe bananas in my blender along with the hot mixture and blended until smooth, I added 2 tbsp. more of cornstarch, along with a few dashes of nutmeg and cinnamon for added flavor, and then returned to the pan to boil/thicken a bit more. I did this in a square cake pan with a Nilla Wafer pie crust (made same as a standard graham cracker except with Nilla wafers instead) it was DELICIOUS!!! I gave it 4 stars because the results were SO yummy even if a slight bit modified."
"I found he whole thing about pour the sauce filling over the bananas slices not to be that great. There are a lot of steps and this recipe is not that great tasting. If you want to try it, I would suggest blending all the ingredients together smooth. Also, don't keep at room temp at all, it will be to runny, must be refrigerated."