Banana Ice Cream Puffs
These tender golden puffs are filled with rich banana ice cream and drizzled with hot fudge-making them pretty enough to draw a sleighful of compliments!
Total TimePrep: 60 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
MakesAbout 2 dozen puffs and 3 quarts ice cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve banana cream pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- CREAM PUFFS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- Hot fudge or chocolate ice cream topping
- Chopped nuts
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, pudding mix, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of pudding mixture. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- Stir in the cream, bananas and vanilla. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow ice cream to ripen in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 2 rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- To serve, spoon banana ice cream into cream puffs; replace tops. Drizzle with hot fudge topping and sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Banana Ice Cream Puffs in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.