"I remember this sunny citrus ice cream from my birthdays and other summer holidays at my grandparents' lake cottage," relates Tammy Mikesell of Columbia City, Indiana.
Recommended: 16 Banana Split-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 cups cold milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- In a saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar and 4 cups milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture reaches 160° and is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine pudding mix and remaining milk. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir juices, bananas, cream and pudding into cooled egg mixture. Freeze in batches in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate extra mixture until it can be frozen. Yield: about 3-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Banana Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p65