- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1-1/2 cups maple pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut Belgian cafe coffee drink mix
- Sliced ripe bananas and hazelnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, banana, orange juice, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in hazelnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine syrup and coffee drink mix; heat through. Serve with waffles. Garnish with bananas and hazelnuts if desired.
2 each: 493 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.