Banana French Toast Bake
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut buns into 1-in. cubes; place half in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with cream cheese, bananas and remaining cubed buns.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, syrup and cinnamon; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 341 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein.
Sep 25, 2015
Made this with Hawaiian bread and served it with powdered sugar sprinkled on it!
It was SO good!
Jun 21, 2015
made it for a vacation crowd. after sampling ,all decided to feed it to the gulls. they did not like the bread, and i think adding more cinnamon and banana extract would help. looked great though! I think I will try using raisin bread toast next time
May 18, 2015
Because I was in a hurry, I did not let this set overnight. After reading all of the reviews, I am glad I didn't. Since husband didn't like it, I won't be making this again, but adding chocolate chips would definitely be great for this. Since I liked it, I gave it 4 stars.
Apr 9, 2015
Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. Made it as directed, but might add more cinnamon next time.
Jul 9, 2014
I've made this several times & have made a few changes.
1. I use French bread instead of the suggested WW buns. If it's fresh bread, I toast the cubes for a couple of minutes in the oven.
2. I roll the cubed cream cheese in sugar (or cinnamon/sugar mixture)
3. I add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract to the liquid mix (& a splash of banana extract when I have that on hand).
4. I add a handful or so of dark chocolate chips between the 2 layers of bread cubes & a few more on top before baking.
Dec 31, 1969
We thought this recipe was really good! It went together in no time flat and came out of the oven beautiful & delicious, even better as a snack later in the day at room temp. - however I did not use the buns. I had some fresh baked French bread I cubed up tossed with some melted butter and baked till hard and toasty. I wanted the dry bread to really soak up the custard. - when the toasted bread came out of the oven I tossed it with some cinnamon/sugar before it cooled. The bananas were spot on! I'm going next try the recipe with sautéed cinnamon apples! Thanks ToH great recipe!!
Nov 10, 2013
this was not good at all. I used cut up texas toast vs. hamburger buns. That was my only substitution. This looked great coming out of the oven. However, it had no flavor, and the texture was as if someone had already chewed it for me. This should not have made the cover of the magazine.
Dec 31, 1969
Came out edible, but barely. I have just discovered that whole wheat buns and bananas that have sat overnight in the fridge dont look all that pretty. There is no way that picture is an accurate depiction of the recipe .......
Dec 31, 1969
Thiis came out terrrible. No flavor at all. It needed more cinnamon and sugar. The creamcheese was blaaaah. Recipe went into the trash.
Jul 1, 2013
I made this using eggs from our flock of ducks. My husband enjoyed it very much and I like the fact I can bake it in the oven.