- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana or vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Line two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, milk and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Spread batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers come out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. Gently peel off waxed paper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover and cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add milk mixture; beat on high for 10-15 minutes or until fluffy.
- Place one cake on a large cutting board; spread top with frosting. Top with remaining cake; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into slices. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBanana Flip Cake
"I made this today, and found it to be delicious. Followed directions exactly and it turned out very pretty. I'm not an experienced baker, either. I just have to say - the community of people who comment on recipes on the Taste of Home website are some of the most hateful, mean, smug, rude, basically nasty individuals I've ever encountered on the Internet. Which is sad to say because I also hang out on Reddit and 4 chan. It's really not that difficult to be constructively critical - not rude/cruel. And you don't have to be snide and end your comment with half a dozen questions marks, either. Very disappointing. And it's not just this recipe. It's recipe after recipe after recipe. People rating when they haven't even prepared the recipe. People making so many changes they've created a new dish, for all practical purposes - it's ridiculous. Taste of Home should hire several staff to exclusively monitor the comments. It would really improve the tone of this website by leaps and bounds."
"I was very disappointed in this recipe . Partly my fault because I didn't have any pans the right size so I baked the cake in two square cake pans which made the cake too thick. I cake itself had a good taste.I didn't like the frosting at all . I will try this again with the right size pans and maybe try a different frosting I know there are several different recipe s for banana flips maybe I'll have better luck next time."
"Am I to assume that if you want the banana flavor you use he banana pudding.. I don't see anything else that would make this a Banana Flip cake ?????"