Banana Crunch Muffins
—Chelsea Ferguson, Holdrege, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 medium ripe banana
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup strawberry yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups banana nut cereal, coarsely crushed
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside. In a small bowl, mash 3 of the bananas; stir in egg substitute, oil and yogurt. Coarsely chop the remaining banana; fold into yogurt mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups one-third full. Spoon 1-1/2 teaspoons cereal on each. Top with remaining batter until the cups are three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining cereal. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 161 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Banana Crunch Muffins in Country Woman July/August 1995