Banana Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium, firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- 2. Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas.
1 slice: 338 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 26, 2019Classic Comfort. Delicious!
Jul 28, 2018My family loved this! It reminds me of the Banana Cream Pie my mother used to make. Will definitely make this again!
Apr 8, 2018
Great classic pie! This is my go to recipe.
Apr 2, 2018
Excellent pie! I didn't change a thing on the recipe, and the consistency came out perfect. No corn starch necessary!
Dec 31, 1969
If you don’t eat the pie up in one day, how can you stop the bananas from going brown. Anyone! Thx
Feb 23, 2018
My granddaughter wanted a good recipe for banana cream pie to make for some people at work and I gave her this one. Not too sweet and tastes great!! Definitely a keeper.
Dec 7, 2017
My adult son requested a banana cream pie for his birthday and this one didn't disappoint. Easy recipe with simple ingredients. It was rich and tasted great. :)
Nov 14, 2017
I changed the flour to cornstarch because I wanted it nice and thick and rich!
Apr 21, 2017
Wonderful banana cream pie! I had been craving it and this recipe did not disappoint.
Apr 5, 2017
Wow I loved this recipe very easy to make, it tasted very light and yummy. Will make again!! You should make it too, I followed the recipe with no substitutions.