Banana Cream & Peanut Butter Mousse Pie
My pie is special because it is ultra creamy and has three foods I desire most—peanut butter, banana and milk chocolate. I opted to make my own pie filling from scratch as it takes very little time and the result is definitely worth it. The peanut butter mousse is light and has velvety smooth texture. It is a melt-in-your mouth dessert and my husband gave it a 5-star rating.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter chips
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; stir in melted chocolate until crumbs are coated. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Place crust in freezer.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cream and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss banana slices with lemon juice to coat; arrange in crust. Pour filling over bananas and spread to cover. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
- For topping, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt peanut butter chips and 1/2 cup cream. Remove from the heat. Stir in peanut butter; transfer to a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat remaining cream with confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks just start to form (do not overbeat). Fold into peanut butter mixture until blended. Spread over filling, making soft peaks with back of spoon.
- In a microwave, melt chips and butter; drizzle over pie. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm. Remove from the refrigerator 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 685 calories, 48g fat (26g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as ULTIMATE BANANA CREAM ‘N PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE PIE in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.