- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in the bananas, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forBanana-Chip Oat Muffins
"I make these a couple of times a month for my boys. I use coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar. When I don't have applesauce, I'll add a couple tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt. The result is a light, delicious muffin that rises more than some whole wheat/oat muffins, thanks to the blend of white/wheat flour."
"Delicious! Didn't have applesauce, so I used ab extra tbsp of butter. Also cut the sugar down to 1/3 cup & Choc chips to 1/2 cup. It's a keeper!"
"Really yummy muffins! I liked the fact that it was very low fat. Since I did not have quite enough bananas for a double batch, I added some extra applesauce as well as 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg for extra flavour. They were loved by all."