Banana-Chip Nut Bread
Even if you're not following a gluten-free diet, you'll enjoy this delightful bread from our Test Kitchen. The chocolate chips and chopped walnuts are a nice complement to the mild banana flavor. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 mini loaf (6 slices)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1-1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mashed potato flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. In a small bowl, mash banana with buttermilk. Combine the flours, potato flakes, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour into a 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 147 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Banana Chocolate Chip Nut Bread in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007