- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 large)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios, toasted
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 containers (8 ounces each) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Additional chopped unsalted pistachios, toasted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in 3/4 cup pistachios.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add cocoa; mix until blended. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake. Spread top and sides with 2 cups frosting. Press pistachios into sides of cake if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a large pastry or plastic bag; insert #127 petal pastry tip. Fill the bag with remaining frosting. Pipe concentric circles of frosting over top of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until frosting is set. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBanana Cake with Chocolate Frosting
"It was more like banana bread with chocolate frosting. People at work enjoyed it, but it is not a recipe I will plan to make again. easy to make, but I would rather have made a really good banana bread.I made this in a 9x13 which messed up the frosting to cake ratio. So that may be a factor why it tasted more like banana bread."
"We only made the cake, not the frosting out of ease and we left off the pistachios for personal preference. We also just about doubled the bananas to ensure that they were the highlight. Everyone really enjoyed it. I enjoyed taking credit for it."
"I followed this recipe excactly. The cake turned out o.k. but the frosting was horrible. Way too sweet and the color was not like the picture. We couldnt even taste the cream cheese."
"This cake was pretty good, but did not have a "wow factor" taste. There is plenty of icing and I'll use the leftover on cupcakes. Used walnuts in place of pistachios and peanut pieces for decoration. A stunner to look at, our guests enjoyed it and I'd try it again."
"One of the best cakes I have made. Looks very special and tastes special too."
"I am an avid baker and was very excited to see this chocolate cream cheese frosting here because it appears so dark in the picture. I just finished it an while it tastes delicious and has a good texture, it is very light in color. :("
"Made this for Easter, and used a peanut butter icing instead~ FANTASTIC!!!"