Banana Bundles with Caramel Sauce
These attractive bundles from our Test Kitchen have the fantastic flavor of Bananas Foster. It’s best to use firm bananas in this recipe.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- BANANA BUNDLES:
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook and stir over medium-high heat just until mixture comes to a boil, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk in vanilla and salt. Cut remaining butter into small pieces; whisk into sauce, a few pieces at a time, until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the bananas, butter, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Unfold puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a 12-in. square.
- Cut into four squares; lightly brush edges with water. Place 1/4 cup banana mixture in the center of each square. Bring corners of pastry over filling and twist to form a bundle; pinch edges closed.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm with caramel sauce.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Banana Bundles and Caramel Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006