- 4 cups cubed day-old French or sourdough bread (1-in. pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 2-qt. casserole; pour butter over and toss to coat. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in bananas.
- Pour over bread cubes and stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to butter. Stir in milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla. Serve warm sauce over warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBanana Bread Pudding
"Made as the recipe stated and it was good, but definitely needed the very delicious sauce to make it really good. Without the sauce it just needed a little something more and I will play around with some additions, but with the sauce it's a keeper."
"I loved this recipe! I made it with old odds and ends of bread I had in the fridge, and over ripe bananas I'd put in the freezer. I used a stick of butter, and mashed the bananas in the milk and egg mixture...my husband and I loved it. Thank you."
"Excellent, and I made it without the sauce, added some extra banana some golden raisins about 1/2 cup and used evaporated milk with water to make up as I do not have fresh milk on hand. Despite my changes came out very yummy."
"Really good - will make again adding more bananas and maybe white chocolate chips. The sauce was delicious!"
"THE BEST bread pudding!! I added extra bananas! This was my first attempt, but it will definitely not be my last!"
"Very good - especially the sauce. I like that it doesn't take a full stick of butter because I don't like greasy, oily sauces."
"This is the recipe i go to when ever I have a dinner party and I want to impress my guests, you should hear the oows and aaahaws and the many complements I receive. I think the Theking1660 should all have their taste buds examined. I consider this one of my most decadent recopies in my collection! I would give it 10 stars."
"We each took one bite of it before adding sauce and threw it in the garbage. I would keep looking for another recipe, I'm sure there are better ones online."