Banana Berry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine bran flakes and buttermilk; set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in bran mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 31, 2014
This recipe is AMAZING! I've made this several times, in so many ways. Sometimes I omit the berries, cut the sugar in half, and I ALWAYS add some grated zucchini. I've also made these by omitting the bananas and berries and made them with butternut squash, grated carrots, and pumpkin pie spice. YUMMY! I will be keeping this recipe for a LONG LONG TIME!
Jul 25, 2012
These were very very good. I used raisins in place of the blueberries because the person I was making them for likes raisins, I used All Bran cereal because that's all we had and I didn't use the topping but when I make them myself for myself, I will use blueberries and the topping. Very very good. Thank you!
Oct 2, 2010
I would have to rate it as 5 stars. It is not only delicious but with the bran & blueberries it is highly nutritious. I took it to a prayer meeting and everyone wanted the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.