- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce).
Reviews forBalsamic Roast Chicken
"This is a favorite at my house. I make it often. The chickens are so economical and the flavor is very special and tasty."
"A classic dinner, great for any holiday especially!"
"Moist and tasty! Made as-is and would not recommend any changes."
"I used a 4-1/2 lb chicken and made it as is except for cooking it in an oven bag. It came out very moist and was done in 1-3/4 hours. The next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit and not use so much red onion. I thickened the sauce w/ cornstarch and added more low sodium chicken broth. It was tastier the next day and I would make again."
"Delicious. I used brandy (because that was all I had) with the balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful. I think a hearty Burgundy would be even better. Have added to my "Company's Coming" cookbook."
"AMAZING! Turned out beautifully . Very tasty ."
"This is the best and is so easy! A new family favorite. Made exactly as written and everyone loved it!"